Welcome to the Geary A Rummler Publication Library. On this page, you will find an archive of Geary’s publications. A list of all of Geary’s publications – articles, chapters, and books – can be found below. Our intention is to make as many of Geary’s published work available via this web page as possible. To read a specific article or find the Amazon page for a specific book, simply click on the title of the book or article.
This page is a work in progress. Not all publications that are listed may be available. Additional articles will be added as they are located. If you have a copy of an article that is listed, but not downloadable, on this page, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
DR. GEARY A. RUMMLER PUBLICATIONS
Programmed Learning: A Practicum (with Brethower, et al.), Ann Arbor Publishers, 1965
Managing the Instructional Programming Effort (with J. P. Yaney and A. W. Schrader, eds.), Bureau of Industrial Relations, The University of Michigan, 1967. Link
Labor Relations for the Supervisor (with J. P. Yaney), Addison-Wesley, 1968
Retail Salesmanship (with Staff), Addison-Wesley, 1968
Training and Development: A Guide for Professionals (with G. S. Odiorne), Commerce Clearing House, Inc., 1988
Developing Organization Maps: A Handbook for Understanding a Business (with A.P.Brache), Rummler-Brache Group, 1990, 1995.
Improving Performance: Managing the White Space on the Organization Chart (With A. P. Brache), Jossey-Bass, 1990, 1995
Serious Performance Consulting – According to Rummler, International Society for Performance Improvement, 2004.
White Space Revisited: Creating Value through Process (with A. J. Ramias and R. A. Rummler), Wiley Jossey-Bass, 2010
Rediscovering Value: Leading the 3-D Enterprise to Sustainable Success (with A. J. Ramias and C. L. Wilkins), Wiley Jossey-Bass, 2011
ARTICLES AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO BOOKS
- “Programmed Learning for Business”, Michigan Business Review, March, 1963.
- “Programmed Learning: The Whole Picture”, Training Directors Journal, April, 1963, Vol. 17, No. 4.
- “Programmed Learning-A Progress Report”, Management of Personnel Quarterly, Vol. II, No. 3.
- “Training Industrial Programmers” (with P. G. Herrick), Programmed Instruction, Vol. V., No. 1, October, 1965.
- “The Economics of Lean Programming”, Journal of Programmed Instruction, National Society of Programmed Instruction, October, 1965.
- “A Review of Programmed Instruction: A Guide for Management”, Journal of Programmed Instruction, National Society of Programmed Instruction, April, 1966.
- “For Improved Work Performance, Accentuate the Positive”, (with D. M. Brethower), Personnel, Sept.-Oct., 1966.
- “Programmed Instruction: A Learning Technology for Management”, Ideas for Management, Systems and Procedures Association, 1967.
- “Programmed Instruction: A Fact of Educational Life”, Michigan School Board Journal, Volume XV, Number 4, pp. 8-14, 1968.
- “Introduction” to Training for Results (A Systems Approach to the Development of Human Resources in Industry) by M. W. Warren, Addison-Wesley, 1969.
- “P.I.-Where the Action Is”, Educational Technology, July, 1970.
- “The Emperor’s Clothes: The Behavioralist’s Strategy for Management Development” (with Training Research Forum) Training and Development Journal, 1970.
- “Training: Sharp or Dull Management Tool?” (with T. F. Gilbert) Modern Government and National Development, Jan.-Feb., 1971.
- “How to Conduct Your Own Training Audit” (with T. F. Gilbert), Plant Operating Management, March, 1971.
- “Guidance: The Short Way Home” (with T. F. Gilbert) Continuing Education, April, 1971.
- “Instructional Techniques for Trainers”, a chapter in The Handbook for Modern Personnel Administration, McGraw-Hill, 1972.
- “The Performance Audit”, Changing Employee Behavior, (Conference Proceedings) University of Pittsburgh, 1972.
- “Human Performance Problems and Their Solutions”, Human Resource Management, University of Michigan.
- “The Management of Change: Preparing for Automation”, (with S. Cowen) Training and Development Journal, May, 1974.
- “Troubleshooting Performance Problems”, The Bureaucrat, Vol. 3, No. 2, July, 1974.
- “Leverage: How to Get It…What to do when you get it”(with K. Brethower) Training, October, 1975
- “Conducting the Performance Audit”, A chapter in The Training and Development Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 1976.
- “How to Determine what Problems can-and can’t- be Resolved by Training”, Training HRD, August, 1976.
- “A Model for Evaluating Training” (with K. Brethower), Improving Human Performance Quarterly, April, 1977.
- “You Need Performance, Not Just Training”, Training HRD, October, 1977.
- “Evaluating Training”, (with K. Brethower), Training and Development Journal, May, 1979
- “Job Performance Standards and Measures”, A Series of Research Presentations and Discussions from the ASTD Second Annual Invitational Research Seminar, Savannah, Georgia. November 5-8, 1979.
- “Educational Technology and Organization Performance: An Historical Perspective”, International Yearbook of Educational and Instructional Technology 1980/81, Kogan Page, London/Nichols Publishing Company, New York.
- “Strategic Thinking for HRD”, (with B. Tregoe), Training, April, 1981.
- “Performance Analysis: Quality, Productivity, and the Real Targets”, (with A. P. Brache), Government Executive, Vol. 14, No. 1, January, 1982
- “Instructional Technology and Organization Performance: An Historical Perspective”, NSPI Journal, April, 1982
- “How to Close the Gap in Human Performance”, (with J. F. Bolt), May, 1982, Management Review, American Management Association
- “The Oldcomer’s Track (or whatever happened to the ‘P’ n NSPI)”, NSPI Journal, July/August, 1982.
- “Technology Domains and NSPI: A Proposed Framework for Organizing the Professional Content of NSPI”, Performance and Instruction Journal, October, 1983.
- “Japanese Productivity: Observations of a Human Performance Technologist”, Performance and Instruction Journal, May, 1984.
- “Organization Redesign”, A chapter in Introduction to Performance Technology, The National Society for Performance and Instruction, 1986.
- “Determining Needs”, A chapter in the Training and Development Handbook, A Guide to Human Resource Development (Third Edition), McGraw-Hill, 1987
- “Six Myths of Quality” (with A. P. Brache), Business Age, Vol. 1, No. 12, November, 1987.
- “Make Your Organization Your Competitive Edge” (with J. R. Murphy), Advanced Management Report, Vol., No. 9, 10, 11. 1988.
- “The Systems View of Human Performance” (with A. P. Brache), Training, September, 1988.
- “The Ten Most Important Lessons I’ve Learned about Human Performance Systems”, contribution to What Works at Work: Lessons from the Masters, Lakewood Publications, 1988.
- “The Three Levels of Quality” (with A. P. Brache), Quality Progress, October, 1988.
- “Managing the White Space” (with A. P. Brache) Training, January, 1991.
- “Transforming Organizations through Human Performance Technology”, (with A. P. Brache), chapter in the Handbook of Human Performance Technology, Jossey-Bass, 1992, 1999.
- “Process Improvement and Management in Service Organizations: Managing the White Space on the Organization Chart” (with A. P. Brache), A chapter in the Handbook for Productivity Measurement and Improvement, Productivity Press, 1993.
- “Invited Reaction: Performance Improvement: A Methodology for Practitioners”, (with A. P. Brache) Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 1, Spring, 1995
- “Change Management Strategies for Performance Improvement” (with A. P. Brache), The Quality Observer, April, 1996.
- “In Search of the Holy Performance Grail”, Training and Development, April, 1996.
- “Redesigning the Organization and Making it Work”, CMA Magazine, (Certified Management Accountant), June, 1996. The Society of Management Accountants of Canada.
- “Managing the Organization as a System”, (with A. P. Brache) Training, February, 1997.
- “Integrating People, Processes, and Technology”, (with R. P. Peebles), A Landmark White Paper, February, 1998
- “The Three Levels of Alignment”, A chapter in Moving from Training to Performance, Robinson and Robinson, editors, ASTD, 1998.
- “Performance Logic: The Organization DNA”, Organization Change Conference Proceedings, University of Nevada, Reno. 1999.
- Foreword to Business Process Change, Paul Harmon, Morgan-Kaufmann, 2003.
- “Know Your Client’s Business” (With K. Morrill, Performance Improvement, March, 2004.
- “The Results Chain – A Tool for Serious Performance Consultants”, T + D, (Training and Development), February, 2005
- “Potential Pitfalls on the Road to a Process-Managed Organization (PMO), Part 1: The Organization as System Lens”, (with A. J. Ramias and R. A. Rummler), Performance Improvement, April, 2009
- “Potential Pitfalls on the Road to a Process-Managed Organization (PMO), Part 2: A Road too Much Traveled”, (with A. J. Ramias and R. A. Rummler), Performance Improvement, May, 2009